Update jails strategy

Luke Crooks luke at solentwholesale.com
Sat Nov 11 20:55:36 UTC 2017

When I do this, I am lucky enough to have a physical spare server, so I run
everything on the backup server as a mirror of the master.

I then rebuild and update the jails on master, if there was ever a problem,
I could just switch local dns records to the slave.

All of my last 4 jail rebuilds have been done on my master without any
effect to users or services, then I just schedule a reboot for a time the
server isn't in use.

To date I have had no problem at all, and the whole process of rebuilding
base jail image and all packages from source is easy (just time consuming).
Some of these jails server Web applications and databases handling some
quite heavy traffic. Just seems to work on FreeBSD flawlessly.