testing 11.0-RC1 vnet jails with ipfilter

Alexander Leidinger Alexander at leidinger.net
Wed Aug 17 07:45:57 UTC 2016

Quoting CyberLeo Kitsana <cyberleo at cyberleo.net> (from Tue, 16 Aug
2016 16:08:42 -0500):

>> Issuing "ipfstat -hnio command from within the vnet jail gives this
>> message, open(IPSTATE_NAME):no such file or directory.
>
> ipfstat(8) also lists /dev/kmem ; I suspect that including this may be a
> bad idea.

kmem will give access to the complete memory of the host. If your goal
is tighter security (instead of just improved managability due to a
less wide scope of the rules needed), then this is a no-go.

Just adding kmem in the devfs rules will not help anyway, the kernel
disallows access to it even if present in the jail (except you run my
X11-in-a-jail patch and have the corresponding option activated for
the jail).

Bye,
Alexander.

--