iocage in ports now

Peter Toth peter.toth198 at gmail.com
Sat Jul 19 22:27:18 UTC 2014

On Sat, Jul 19, 2014 at 11:25 PM, Kai Gallasch <k at free.de> wrote:

> Am 19.07.2014 um 07:52 schrieb Peter Toth:
>
> > Just a quick info iocage is in the ports tree now (thanks to Bartek
> > Rutkowski). Also, the next version (WIP) will support 9.3-RELEASE for the
> > host (you can use 9.x as a jail release though right now).
>
> That's good news to hear.
>
> What is the current status of VIMAGE in the FreeBSD kernel anyway?

There are some gotchas mostly PF related (see previous emails, this month).
Maybe a good question for freebsd-virtualization mailing list.

> When searching the WWW for some information about current development
> status or some planned development goals for VIMAGE I just find older
> information from early 2013. Even wiki.freebsd.org shows no results when
> searched for VIMAGE.
> Newer freebsd.org status quarterly reports also don't have related info.
>
> My point is: If I decide to use VIMAGE based jails (still officially
> flagged a experimental in the kernel config) and use them in a hosting or
> ISP environment (after testing for stability under load of course) will..
>
> a) there be quite possibly nasty surprises awaiting me after doing a
> makeworld on a VIMAGE jailhost server?

Please check this thread:
https://www.mail-archive.com/freebsd-jail@freebsd.org/msg02606.html

> b) freebsd.org proclaim in about half a year that VIMAGE will be no
> longer supported in 10.x ?

It is present in 11.0-CURRENT, so not very likely that it will just
disappear from 10.x - can you provide a source/link for this information?

> Is VIMAGE really - as I read in another mail - the "unloved stepchild of
> the freebsd kernel"?

Interesting.

Commented your previous email above.

As for iocage it supports non-vnet (shared IP) jails too, it actually
detects whether the kernel is vnet capable and uses the appropriate mode
(can be manually set too).

Would be nice to get an official answer from someone who actually works on
VIMAGE/VNET for most of your questions. Maybe a good place to ask those is
the freebsd-virtualization mailing list.

Cheers,
Peter