vnet jail and ipfw/nat on host - keep-state problem?

Peter Ross Peter.Ross at alumni.tu-berlin.de
Fri Jul 11 07:11:45 UTC 2014

On Thu, 10 Jul 2014, Peter Toth wrote:

> Hi Peter,
> Try to make these changes:
>
> net.inet.ip.forwarding=1       # Enable IP forwarding between interfaces
> net.link.bridge.pfil_onlyip=0  # Only pass IP packets when pfil is enabled
> net.link.bridge.pfil_bridge=0  # Packet filter on the bridge interface
> net.link.bridge.pfil_member=0  # Packet filter on the member interface
>
> You can find some info
> here http://iocage.readthedocs.org/en/latest/help-no-internet.html
>
> I've had these issues before with PF and IPFW, by default these will be
> filtering on your bridge and member interfaces.

Thanks. It did not change anything.

Now, inside_ the jail I run "ipfw allow ip from any to any".

This on the host system:

01000 check-state
01100 allow tcp from any to any established
01200 allow ip from any to any frag
00100 divert 8668 ip4 from any to any via age0
03100 allow udp from any to 10.0.10.1 dst-port 53 keep-state
03200 allow udp from any to me dst-port 53 keep-state

(with natd redirecting "redirect_port udp 10.0.10.1:53 external.ip:53")

If I add

03300 allow udp from me 53 to any

it works..

So it makes me think check-state isn't usable - because

03200 allow udp from any to me dst-port 53 keep-state

should cover the returning packets.

I played with your parameters but it did not help. But thanks for the
idea.

Here again the setup:

Internet->age0(host interface with natd and external IP)
->bridge10(10.0.10.254)->epair1a
->epair1b(10.0.10.1 in bind vnet jail)

I wonder what kind of restrictions exist with vnet.. it does not seem to
work _exactly_ as a "real" network stack (the issues with pf inside the
jail let me think of it too)

Did I find a restriction, a bug - or just that I've got it wrong?

Regards
Peter