mergemaster

Warren Block wblock at wonkity.com
Thu Jul 10 18:56:10 UTC 2014

On a jail created with ezjail on 10-STABLE, mergemaster is not actually
ignoring files set with IGNORE_FILES in the jail's /etc/mergemaster.rc.

For example:

   /usr/jails/whatsit/etc/mergemaster.rc
     IGNORE_FILES="/boot/device.hints"

>From the host:
   # cd /usr/src ; mergemaster -U -D /usr/jails/whatsit
     *** There is no installed version of ./boot/device.hints

     Use 'd' to delete the temporary ./boot/device.hints
     Use 'i' to install the temporary ./boot/device.hints

     Default is to leave the temporary file to deal with by hand

   How should I deal with this? [Leave it for later]

Using IGNORE_FILES="/usr/jails/whatsit/boot/device.hints" in the jail
does not work either.  Nor does setting that value in the host's
/etc/mergemaster.rc.

Is this a problem with mergemaster or the jail setup?  From a user
standpoint, I would hope that mergemaster would read /etc/mergemaster.rc
from the -D directory and use those values rather than the host's
/etc/mergemaster.rc.  Maybe it does that, but I'm doing it wrong.