Cant reach Jailed services from internet.

Fbsd8 fbsd8 at a1poweruser.com
Sun Jun 2 17:34:53 UTC 2013

Mogamat Abrahams wrote:
> Joe <fbsd8 at ...> writes:
>

>>  Your 67.205.xx.xx ip address looks like a dynamic ip address that you
>> use dhcp to automatically obtain all the network configuration
>> information needed by your host. Static ip addresses don't work that
>> way. You have to manually configure the static network. If I remember
>> correctly, for a block of 3 assignable ip addresses you need a block of
>> 5 from your provider. The first and last ip address are used to config
>> the network.
> This address was provided and I manually configured the nic.
>
>> You never said if you have a firewall on your host. The firewall rules
>> maybe dropping unsolicited inbound traffic for those 174 prefixed ip
>> addresses. Try putting a pass all log  from that NIC rule or just a log
>> all rule or turn off the firewall all together and see what happens.
>> Verify your NAT is not trying to NAT unsolicited inbound traffic for
>> those 174 prefixed ip addresses.
>
> I had no firewall installed on the machine as we were still setting up and
> usually only add firewalling last. Here is something interesting though,
> since compiling a custom kernel and
> including:
>
> device<><------>pf
> device<><------>pflog
> nooptions<----->sctp
> options><------>VIMAGE
> device ><------>epair
> device ><------>if_bridge
> options><------>NULLFS
>
> #firewall
>
> options         MROUTING                # Multicast routing
>
> options         IPFIREWALL              #firewall
> options         IPFIREWALL_VERBOSE      #enable logging to syslogd(8)
> options         IPFIREWALL_VERBOSE_LIMIT=100    #limit verbosity
> options         IPFIREWALL_DEFAULT_TO_ACCEPT    #allow everything by default
> options         IPFIREWALL_FORWARD      #packet destination changes
>
> options         ACCEPT_FILTER_DATA
> options         ACCEPT_FILTER_DNS
> options         ACCEPT_FILTER_HTTP
> options         ZERO_COPY_SOCKETS
>

> My JAILS now both receive and respond to traffic! This was the only change i
> remember making.
> Just running on firewall_type="OPEN" and have not even defined any other
> rules.
>
> So the problem seems solved, however still not sure what fixed it....!! Is
> NAT a requirement
> for Jail networking where the default gateway is not on the same subnet as
> the Jail?

Mogamat Abrahams
It's customary to post your solution as the last post in this thread.
Since you have so many kernel options included it would be nice to know
which one really made the difference.

BY process of limitation
  nooptions  sctp  problem was fixed in 8.1-release
  device     pf    your not using this firewall
  device     pflog

  options    ACCEPT_FILTER_DATA   These 4 have never been talked about
  options    ACCEPT_FILTER_DNS    before in vnet context. Not likely
  options    ACCEPT_FILTER_HTTP   to have any bearing on your problem.
  options    ZERO_COPY_SOCKETS

Since your problem was happening with both if_bridge/epair and netgraph
vnet networks seems unlikely that
  device   epair
  device   if_bridge
compiled into the kernel has any bearing on your problem.

My money is on
options   MROUTING   # Multicast routing

May I suggest you remove the above kernel options and recompile with
modules. If it works then you know what kernel option is the solution to
  a vnet jail receiving inbound traffic. Then post the if_bridge/epair
commands you used to create your vnet/vimage inbound and outbound
network.  Your solution post provides an answer (solution) for people
who search the list email archives who have the same problem. Doing this
is how you repay the people who help you on this list.