/dev/pts/0 in a jail shows no one is observing from outer prison.

Dag-Erling Smørgrav des at des.no
Fri Jul 19 06:35:27 UTC 2013

"Julian H. Stacey" <jhs at berklix.com> writes:
>   A ssh to a jail followed by Who, if it shows just pts/0, shows
>   no one else is logged in { within jail And Also Outer Prison
>   [And presumably also other parallel jails] }.

Not really, it just shows that pts/0 was available.  Like file
descriptors, pseudo-ttys are allocated on a first-unused basis.  There
could be twenty people logged in; if the first logs out, the
twenty-first gets pts/0.

Also, please read the warning at the start of the jail chapter in the
FreeBSD handbook.  I should probably update it to note that there are
many ways in which information can leak between jails and the host.

DES
Dag-Erling Smørgrav - des at des.no