ifconfig problem in FreeBSD Jail

Gaurav kansal gaurav.kansal at nic.in
Wed Mar 14 13:04:06 UTC 2012

Hi,

I am trying to set up the FreeBSD Jail first time for my knowledge purpose.

I install FreeBSD 9 in VMware Workstation.

I use the following tutorial for setting up Jail in FreeBSD

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/jails-application.html

Everything works fine except network configuration.

When I am trying to "ifconfig", it is giving me an error.

ifconfig

em0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 1500

        options=9b<RXCSUM,TXCSUM,VLAN_MTU,VLAN_HWTAGGING,VLAN_HWCSUM>

        ether 00:0c:29:05:76:e2

ifconfig: socket(AF_INET6, SOCK_DGRAM): Protocol not supported

        media: Ethernet autoselect (1000baseT <full-duplex>)

        status: active

em1: flags=8802<BROADCAST,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 1500

        options=9b<RXCSUM,TXCSUM,VLAN_MTU,VLAN_HWTAGGING,VLAN_HWCSUM>

        ether 00:0c:29:05:76:ec

ifconfig: socket(AF_INET6, SOCK_DGRAM): Protocol not supported

        media: Ethernet autoselect (1000baseT <full-duplex>)

        status: active

plip0: flags=8810<POINTOPOINT,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 1500

ifconfig: socket(AF_INET6, SOCK_DGRAM): Protocol not supported

lo0: flags=8049<UP,LOOPBACK,RUNNING,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 16384

        options=3<RXCSUM,TXCSUM>

ifconfig: socket(AF_INET6, SOCK_DGRAM): Protocol not supported

I am not able to ping also.

What more I have to do??????

Thanks n Regards,
GAURAV KANSAL
9910118448
VoIP - 6259
Operation And Routing Unit
NIC , NEW DELHI

Please don't print this e-mail until & unless you really need, it will save
Trees on Planet Earth.
IPv4 is Over,

Are your ready for new Network.