New jail(8) committed

Jamie Gritton jamie at FreeBSD.org
Sat Apr 28 22:59:55 UTC 2012

On 04/28/12 00:08, Jason Hellenthal wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 28, 2012 at 06:14:07AM +0200, Dirk Engling wrote:
>> On 26.04.12 22:07, Jamie Gritton wrote:
>>
>>> I've finally put my jail(8) changes into HEAD.  This new version of jail
>>> can create jails from a configuration file - see jail.conf(5) for the
>>> format, as well as some additions to jail(8).  This doesn't mean you
>>> *have* to use jail.conf, but it's a better way to manage jails than the
>>> existing rc.conf method.
>>
>> Out of curiosity, why did you settle for a /etc/jail.conf instead of a
>> /etc/jail.d/? Your config file format introduces the dependency into an
>> expensive parser while adding little value. Even worse, the user now has
>> to struggle with just another format describing the system.
>>
>> I can foresee that my automated jail management tool ezjail will not be
>> able to support the jail.conf format due to the lack of a parser. A look
>> into ezjails config directory structure can give you a hint of how to
>> achieve some similar clean up with built in tools.
>
> Since when does a lack of a parser in "YOUR tool" become a problem for
> FreeBSD ? just sayin!

To be fair, ezjail is a tool is pretty wide use, and I had no intention
of breaking it - but also no knowledge of its internals. This thing has
been sitting around in the projects directory for a long time now, with
requests for review and comments. It's kind of disheartening to only
hear this the day I committed it to HEAD.

- Jamie