New jail(8) committed

Dirk Engling erdgeist at erdgeist.org
Sat Apr 28 04:14:14 UTC 2012

On 26.04.12 22:07, Jamie Gritton wrote:

> I've finally put my jail(8) changes into HEAD.  This new version of jail
> can create jails from a configuration file - see jail.conf(5) for the
> format, as well as some additions to jail(8).  This doesn't mean you
> *have* to use jail.conf, but it's a better way to manage jails than the
> existing rc.conf method.

Out of curiosity, why did you settle for a /etc/jail.conf instead of a
/etc/jail.d/? Your config file format introduces the dependency into an
expensive parser while adding little value. Even worse, the user now has
to struggle with just another format describing the system.

I can foresee that my automated jail management tool ezjail will not be
able to support the jail.conf format due to the lack of a parser. A look
into ezjails config directory structure can give you a hint of how to
achieve some similar clean up with built in tools.

I am not saying, the config directory format is perfect, the current
redundancy in jail_JAILNAME variables is a mess, but inventing a
container format where files would do just fine in my opinion is overkill.

Regards,

  erdgeist