Old jail dir reappears after reboot - why?

Romain Garbage romain.garbage at gmail.com
Thu Sep 1 21:09:07 UTC 2011

2011/9/1 Redd Vinylene <reddvinylene at gmail.com>:
> On Thu, Sep 1, 2011 at 9:51 PM, Glen Barber <glen.j.barber at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> Do you need the data within /jail anymore?  I sent another followup on
>> how to set the 'mounted' property to 'no'.
>>
>> In either case, the following will unmount the dataset:
>>
>> zfs umount pool/dataset
>>
>> Or if you're absolutely certain you will not need the data within that
>> dataset, you could do:
>>
>> zfs destroy pool/dataset
>>
>> Of course, replace 'pool' with the zfs pool, and 'dataset' with the name
>> of the dataset you wish to remove (in this case, 'jail').
>>
>> zfs(1M) has all (most) of the available commands available.
>>

> Sounds great man! No, I do not need the data in /jail. I must have deleted
> that directory a 100 times already.
>
> Exactly what is my zfs pool though? Got to be extremely careful it does not
> also delete my /jails dir - where my life's work currently resides :-)

Zfs is a file system but it also contains a volume manager. The pool
is kind of the logical volume in which you have your logical
filesystems (called datasets in zfs)

Could you provide the output of the `zpool status` command?

Actually, the command to destroy your pool would be `zpool destroy
jail`, as the zfs command applies to datasets.