Old jail dir reappears after reboot - why?

Greg Larkin glarkin at FreeBSD.org
Thu Sep 1 16:56:54 UTC 2011

On 9/1/11 10:17 AM, Redd Vinylene wrote:
> Greetings!
>
> # df /jail
> Filesystem 1K-blocks  Used      Avail Capacity  Mounted on
> /jail 1839358428   18 1839358410     0%    /jail
>
> Yes - this directory is on the same filesystem as /jails. And yes - I
> did issue a "rm -rf /jail" after "umount /jail".
>
> fsck showed no signs of filesystem error.
>
> Thanks!

Hi Redd,

I'm curious why the Filesystem column in the df output above displays
"/jail", the same as the "Mounted on" column.  Can you also post your
/etc/fstab file contents?  It seems like something strange is going on,
but I'm not a filesystem expert.

Regards,
Greg

> On Tue, Aug 23, 2011 at 3:03 PM, Greg Larkin <glarkin at freebsd.org
> <mailto:glarkin at freebsd.org>> wrote:
>
> On 8/23/11 4:48 AM, Redd Vinylene wrote:
>> On Fri, Jun 10, 2011 at 1:36 PM, Redd Vinylene
> <reddvinylene at gmail.com <mailto:reddvinylene at gmail.com>>wrote:
>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> After rebooting my host server, some old dir I once had my jails in
>>> reappears. What might be the cause of that and how do I stop it?
>>>
>>> More specifically, I once had my jails in /jail, but now I've
> moved them
>>> all into /jails. rc.conf or fstab does not reference /jail and I
> can't
>>> find any file on my system that does - so why does this dir keep
> reappearing
>>> all the time?
>>>
>>> I have to umount it before I can delete it though.
>>>
>>> Anybody know?
>>>
>>> Thanks!
>

>> Can somebody help me?
>
>> Redd
>
> Hi Redd,
>
> What is the output of "df /jail"?  Is that directory on the same mounted
> filesystem as any other directories?
>
> I assume that you executed "rm -rf /jail" after you moved your jail
> directories to /jails?  If you've done that, it may not hurt to fsck the
> device to make sure there aren't any filesystem problems.
>
> Regards,
> Greg

- --
Greg Larkin