Exposing a hierarchy of ZFS datasets inside multiple jails

Lars Kellogg-Stedman lars at seas.harvard.edu
Sat Jun 18 03:54:28 UTC 2011

> Why dont you create a NFS-loopback? You can create a fstab for each jail and
> use this to mount the nfs-shares.
> from rc.conf
> jail_alcatraz_fstab="/mnt/tank/freebsd/fstab.alcatraz"
>
> fstab.alcatraz
> 127.0.0.1:/foo/bar    /var/jails/alcatraz/mnt/bar    nfs    rw    0    0

The problem with this solution -- if I understand you correctly -- is
that it doesn't deal well with a population of home directories that
may change while the jail is running.  This is what I described as
"writing a poorly designed automounter".  I could...

- Iterate over /home
- Generate an appropriate /etc/fstab.<jail> entry for each directory
- Start the jail

...but the only way to pick up changes would be to reboot the jail.
This is certainly a functional fallback position, but I'd love a more
graceful solution.

--
Lars Kellogg-Stedman <lars at seas.harvard.edu>
Senior Technologist