VIMAGE versus Jail w/respect to SYSCTL security_jail OIDs

Devin Teske devin.teske at fisglobal.com
Sat Aug 27 17:59:05 UTC 2011

I'm finding a systemic problem with VIMAGE jails in comparison to regular jails in FreeBSD-8.1.

All of the following sysctl's appear to correctly affect regular jails (either created via /etc/rc.d/jail or manually via jail(8)):

	security.jail.mount_allowed
	security.jail.chflags_allowed
	security.jail.allow_raw_sockets
	security.jail.sysvipc_allowed
	security.jail.socket_unixiproute_only
	security.jail.set_hostname_allowed
	security.jail.jail_max_af_ips

Indeed, when interrogated within the jail, they show the value that was inherited from the underlying host at jail startup.

However, none of the above sysctl's appear to be inherited by vnet jails.

These would be jails that are created with the "jail -c vnet ..." syntax of jail(8) with VIMAGE enabled in the kernel.

Interrogating any of the above sysctl's from within a vnet jail always produces the following default values, regardless of what you set the host values to and regardless of how many times you bounce the vimage:

	vnettest# sysctl security.jail | grep -v param
	security.jail.enforce_statfs: 1
	security.jail.mount_allowed: 1
	security.jail.chflags_allowed: 0
	security.jail.allow_raw_sockets: 0
	security.jail.sysvipc_allowed: 0
	security.jail.socket_unixiproute_only: 1
	security.jail.set_hostname_allowed: 1
	security.jail.jail_max_af_ips: 255
	security.jail.jailed: 1

Any ideas are welcome.

I think I'm going to go delve into the jail(8) code now, because I've slogged all through the kernel and can't find anything in the kernel that passes these values from host to jail (it must be jail(8) that's doing this functionality).
--
Devin

NOTE: This comes on the back of trying to get nfsd running within a vimage jail. I suspect that the lack of ability to change one or more of the above sysctl's to be the reason why we can't get nfsd to fire-up. Firing up nfsd within a vimage jail produces no results (no error status, no error text, no log entries, nada, zip, zilch, nothing). rpcbind runs, mountd runs, but nfsd refuses for some reason.