Creating jails to run Squid and multiple Bind services - Newbee

Kaya Saman SamanKaya at netscape.net
Sat May 29 23:26:15 UTC 2010

Many thanks Miroslav and Andrew,

{see inbeteen the lines}

On 30/05/2010 01:37, Andrew Hotlab wrote:

>> Date: Sat, 29 May 2010 23:46:31 +0300
>> From: SamanKaya at netscape.net
>> To: freebsd-jail at freebsd.org
>> Subject: Creating jails to run Squid and multiple Bind services - Newbee
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> am attempting to create a set of Jails for the first time!!
>>

> Welcome to the club! :)  If you are coming from Solaris Zones it won't take you much time to feel at home with FreeBSD Jails.

Uh, I hope so!! And thank you for the welcome :-) To tell you the truth,
this is the second production server am building on FreeBSD and I am
actually more impressed with BSD then Linux as a server. Especially the
ability to use ZFS file system which is fast and extremely reliable not
to mention high-end enterprise grade.

>> So far what I've done is this:
>>
>> cd /usr/src
>> make buildworld
>>

>> I straight away then get an error saying:
>>
>> /usr/src/usr.bin/make
>>
>> ***error code 2
>>
>> Stop in /usr/src
>>
>> ***error code 1
>>
>> Basically what I want to do is something very similar to how I use
>> Solaris Zones; create a directory structure which will run 1 specific
>> service only on a specific IP address....
>>
>> I am not certain if I can run 2 instances of Bind in two different Jails
>> but would be cool if I could.
>>
>> I just have no idea how to start!! :-(
>>
>> I really appreciate if someone could give me a hand getting started as
>> I'm totally lost on creating the jails as I can configure the services
>> that I need to run in them easily!!
>>
>> Am on BSD 8.0 RELEASE 'current' edition x64.
>>

> If you are a newcomer to FreeBSD, I suggest you to use a -RELEASE or errata branch. -CURRENT is for developers and "hardcore" users.

I am using the -RELEASE branch, it's just that I can't post the output
of uname -a as am in Windows 7 currently running Cygwin to SSH into my box.

> To make a so-called "service jail" actually seems the way to get what you are looking for, but I think you will feel much better by using a full jail management framework such ezjail (http://www.FreeBSD.org/cgi/url.cgi?ports/sysutils/ezjail/pkg-descr).  It will definitely help you to get a working environment in minutes, enabling you to manage it with a more "Zones-like" approach.
> This tool is also interesting because it makes all jails use a single read-only userland, thus keeping both disk space consumption and administrative efforts low.

Thanks for the quick and easy Windows esq way :-P - next step GUI point
and click tools.... ick!!

> That's the easy way, just to make you "feel the power" without spend too much time... but I strongly suggest you to make your hands dirty by following the "official way" to build jails, to really understand how this great OS partitioning system works!  The better source is obviously the Handbook (http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/jails.html).

Did I post this as one of the links I looked at?? Anyhow will take a
look and see how to actually build a jail as I think that teaches more
then eazy way :-)

> When I was a newcomer to jails, I wrote something about my first experiences, maybe it might be agreeable to have a look at it:
> http://weblogs.valsania.it/bsdlab/2007/07/04/freebsd-jail-“how-to”/

Cool :-D

Will definitely be taking a look....

> Hoping that these little suggestions will be somewhat useful to you.
>
> Sincerely.
>
> Andrew

Best Regards and many thanks,

Kaya