kern/147162: [jail] [panic] Page Fault / Kernel panic when jail starts on boot

Andrew Hotlab andrew.hotlab at hotmail.com
Tue Jun 1 15:14:47 UTC 2010

> Date: Mon, 31 May 2010 05:02:03 +0000
> To: linimon at FreeBSD.org; freebsd-amd64 at FreeBSD.org; freebsd-jail at FreeBSD.org
> From: linimon at FreeBSD.org
> CC:
> Subject: Re: kern/147162: [jail] [panic] Page Fault / Kernel panic when jail starts on boot
>
> Old Synopsis: Page Fault / Kernel panic when jail starts on boot
> New Synopsis: [jail] [panic] Page Fault / Kernel panic when jail starts on boot
>
> Responsible-Changed-From-To: freebsd-amd64->freebsd-jail
> Responsible-Changed-By: linimon
> Responsible-Changed-When: Mon May 31 05:01:35 UTC 2010
> Responsible-Changed-Why:
> Over to maintainer(s).

Please do not get me wrong, I'm sure that all FreeBSD developers are doing an amazing job, and I cannot thank them enough...  but it's the first time I'm worried by a bug in FreeBSD: I manage several jail hosts, and to encounter such a problem because of the latest security patch made my mind back to those days when I was coping with the Microsoft Security Response Center! :S

I actually do not have the right to criticize (I barely know how difficult is producing secure code), neither I want to complain... I only sincerely hope this has been my first and last "bad experience" with FreeBSD! :)

Thank very much to all people that make FreeBSD one of the most reliable OS out here.

Andrew