starting jails in the background & dependencies

Thu Jan 14 12:41:10 UTC 2010

Quoting Miroslav Lachman <000.fbsd at quip.cz> (from Tue, 05 Jan 2010
11:45:34 +0100):

> Alexander Leidinger wrote:
>> On Mon, 07 Dec 2009 08:03:53 +0100 Alexander Leidinger
>> <Alexander at Leidinger.net>  wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> now that jails are started in the background (which is good, to
>>
>> I just realized yesterday that it also stops in parallel (in the
>> background). This is bad. It may be the case that a jail is not fully
>> stopped via the rc scripts when the OS decides to kill the remaining
>> processes during a shutdown.
>>
>> My first reaction is to only allow to start in the background, but
>> everything else needs to be serialized.
>>
>> Any objections or better ideas out there?
>
> Maybe stopping can be done in parallel, but rc script should wait
> (in loop) until all jails are stopped or some configurable timeout
> (for example 60 seconds).

Feel free to come up with a proof of concept... but the timeout on
stop should be "forever" IMO. If you have a busy software which needs
to be shutdown correctly for data safety or consistency reasons, I do
not want that a reboot or shutdown prevents the correct shutdown.

Bye,
Alexander.

--
Beware of Programmers who carry screwdrivers.
		-- Leonard Brandwein