Multicast in jail?

Bill Marquette bill.marquette at ucsecurity.com
Tue Jul 7 13:47:34 UTC 2009

----- "Bjoern A. Zeeb" <bzeeb-lists at lists.zabbadoz.net> wrote:
> On Tue, 7 Jul 2009, Alexander Leidinger wrote:
>
> > Quoting Bill Marquette <bill.marquette at ucsecurity.com> (from Mon, 6
> Jul 2009
> > 20:14:02 -0500 (CDT)):
> >
> >> I'm trying to run Avahi in a jail, much the same as Alexander
> Leidinger in
> >> this email from late last year
> >> http://www.mail-archive.com/freebsd-jail@freebsd.org/msg00587.html.
> >> couldn't find any replies to that thread and it seems that I'm
> running into
> >> the same issues - the service announcements make it on the wire and
> the
> >> other devices in the network see them.
<SNIP>
> Alternatively I wouldn't wonder if enabling raw sockets would give
> what you want or you'll wait for virtualization to be ready.

I tried raw sockets also but as with Alexander, that didn't make any appreciable difference.  In the short term I think I can work around this by bouncing Avahi every couple of minutes (it appears to work properly over the last couple minutes at least).  I'm certainly willing to give VIMAGE a try if it's likely to fix the issue although by your statement, it sounds like it's unlikely to at this time.  Thanks

--Bill