bsnmp module for monitoring jails: bsnmp-jails
syrinx at FreeBSD.org
Wed Jan 21 12:18:52 PST 2009
Just to elaborate Bjoern's opinion -
* traffic monitoring per ip/flow might not be of interest to jails
only and I believe it belongs to a separate module
* in terms of jail resource monitoring (and limits) I believe the
direction to go is using jtune (Cris Jones'es SoC 2006 patch) even if
we have to live with #ifdef JTUNE inside bsnmp_jails until it hits the
tree (which I hope it will at one point)
* the module badly needs to list the IP addresses of a jail - which I
believe should be done in a separate table - e.g indexed by jail id
and IP address - the question here is how to handle IPv4 vs IPv6 -
separate tables or a common table adding a InetAddress column as index
- the latter will not work with bsnmptools until they're fixed to
support it; I am also guessing we need a RowStatus column so that one
can assign IP addresses to a jail via SNMP
* there is no way to create or destroy a jail via snmp-jail -
jailEntry is missing a RowStatus column maybe?
* I am missing a column for the jail's root
* jailname, number of IPv4, IPv6'es in terms of jails in CURRENT?
* SNMP equivalents for the controls under security.jail sysctl MIB?
* I don't like the fact the the module includes pre-generated
jails_oid.h, jails_tree.h and jails_tree.c - we have a bsd.snmpmod.mk
for this, which puts all files in place (e.g MIB, def)
I can try summing up my ideas in a MIB and publishing it for
discussion these days but unfotunatelly I don't have the time to do
any coding on this right now.
One last thought, we certainly want a bsnmp_jails (the notation so far
is to use underscore in the name) module as part of base but it should
cover as wide as usage scenarios of jail(8) as possible.
P.P. Please keep me in the CC list as I am not subscribed to (this) list
More information about the freebsd-jail