HEADS UP: multi-IPv4/v6/no-IP jails now in 7-STABLE

Miroslav Lachman 000.fbsd at quip.cz
Sun Feb 8 09:24:16 PST 2009

Bjoern A. Zeeb wrote:

> On Sun, 8 Feb 2009, Miroslav Lachman wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
>> Can you explain more details about "32bit compat on 64bit, jail v1
>> compat, .."?
>> Is it possible to run 32bit jail in 64bit host and build & run 32bit
>> ports (marked as i386 only) in it? What is needet to setup 32bit jail
>> in 64bit host?
>

> Running a 32bit userland on a 64bit machine inside a jail had been
> possible for quite a while;  you'll find the instructions for a
> "perfect" setup with a bit of search.

I know it was discussed few times in this list (eg. "Compilation
question 64bit, 32 bit" at 2008-10-16), but I think there was not any
"perfect" setup instructions and I am unable to find it with google
(maybe I ask google by wrong questions ;]), so can you point me to the
right place?

> What the above means is that your i386 jail binary will work on amd64 and
> that your old jail binary from before the update will work on the kernel
> after the update.   jls will not btw.

As Alexander Leidinger replied in the mentioned thread, it does not
seems too simple (in case of ports infrastructure) to use 32bit jail as
pure 32bit environment to compile i386 only ports.

I will try it next week and post back any results / questions. And in
case of success, I will write it on Jails wiki page.

Miroslav Lachman