crontab hanging won't die on SIGTERM in jail

Michael Scheidell scheidell at secnap.net
Thu Aug 6 17:17:42 UTC 2009

Stef Walter wrote:
> Michael Scheidell wrote:
>
>> anyone having problems during an in jail shutdown with crontab hanging?
>> I have seen this in 6.4 and 7.1, on i386 and amd64.
>> I don't remember problems with 6.3
>>

> I see this same problem in certain jails. A jail that has this problem
> does it consistently, jails without the problem (on the same machine,
> same FreeBSD userland/kernel) don't have the problem consistently.
>
> In these cases, sending cron the TERM signal just doesn't do anything.
>
> You have to wait for at least one minute after jail startup for cron to
> get into this unTERMable state.

YOU ARE RIGHT!  it is intermentent.
Try this (for me) on those boxes (before you try /etc/rc.d/cron restart:

echo 'sig_stop=SIGKILL' > /etc/rc.conf.d/cron

you arn't running ezjail, are you? could there be anything in ezjail
that would do this?

yes:
boot someone in jail.
/etc/rc.d/cron restart
or killall -SIGTERM cron works.

wait (for what?).  ??  controlling terminal to quit? the first cron parse?

some time (I went to lunch) and guess what. SIGTERM won't stop it.

--
Michael Scheidell, CTO
Phone: 561-999-5000, x 1259
 > *| *SECNAP Network Security Corporation

    * Certified SNORT Integrator
    * Best Anti-Spam Product 2008, Network Products Guide
    * King of Spam Filters, SC Magazine 2008