7.x and multiple IPs in jails

James Gritton jamie at gritton.org
Wed Oct 29 15:15:41 PDT 2008

Bjoern A. Zeeb wrote:
> The plan as the status report will say is to get this in, merge it to
> stable/7 before 7.2  and keep it in 8.
>
> 8 will also have vimages and ideally I'd like to see this entire jail
> IP hacks be gone for 9, when vimage will provide the infrastructure,
> etc.  This means that 8 would be the transition period. But that's
> just me and my ideas - we'll see how it'll go.

I'm not convinced vimage is the only kind of network virtualization we
want to give the option of.  The IP addresses assigned to jails seems a
lighter weight alternative, and allows some things that vimage doesn't
do easily, such as system processes that listen on the virtual addresses
for some services, leaving the jail to handle others.

- Jamie