dhcpd possible within jail?

Christer Edwards christer.edwards at gmail.com
Sat Nov 1 16:19:22 PDT 2008

On Sat, Nov 01, 2008 at 08:13:46PM +0000, Bjoern A. Zeeb wrote:
> try adding something like this to your /etc/devfs.rules
>
> [devfsrules_jail_dhcp=5]
> add include $devfsrules_hide_all
> add include $devfsrules_unhide_basic
> add include $devfsrules_unhide_login
> add path 'bpf*' unhide
> add path net unhide
> add path 'net/*' unhide

I've added the above lines and the devices now are listed in
/usr/jail/jailname/dev/.  I get the same output in the logs with or
without the devfs changes..

Nov  1 17:07:40 molly dhcpd: Wrote 0 deleted host decls to leases file.
Nov  1 17:07:40 molly dhcpd: Wrote 0 new dynamic host decls to leases
file.
Nov  1 17:07:40 molly dhcpd: Wrote 0 leases to leases file.

the dhcpd.leases file is updated when the daemon is restarted but,
again, asking another client to request an address goes ignored.

I'm beginning to wonder if its related to my network configuration
rather than my jail configuration.

DSL modem > netgear wireless AP/switch (dhcp disabled) > netgear
gigabit switch > clients.

> imho, you do not need to allow raw sockets.

With raw sockets turned off it looks like dhcpd is not able to send the
icmp echo request to verify the requested address is available..
(dhcpd.conf(5))

Christer