Jail resource limits

Miroslav Lachman 000.fbsd at quip.cz
Thu May 22 11:19:42 UTC 2008

Peter Ankerstål wrote:
> http://wiki.freebsd.org/JailResourceLimits
>
> Is this anthing people are working on? Is it on its way to RELENG_7?
> Is there a 7-version of the patch or anything? This would be a _VERY_
> useful feature.

Hi,
AFAIK nobody is working on it. A year ago there was newer release of the
patch against CURRENT at that time (FreeBSD 7) [1]
http://www.ualberta.ca/~cdjones/jail-cpumem-current.tgz
I never test this patch on current, only version for 6.x and if patch
for current were made without improvements, it contains same bugs as
patch for 6.x (eg.: not showing memory usage).

There are some other guys trying to do the same, but I never saw patches
published.
Andrew Snow - Jails as a VPS [2]
Alex Lyashkov - Jail2 aka FreeVPS [3a][3b]

Or fixes for C.D. Jones work:
Chris Thunes - jtune not showing resource usage - fixed [4] (note -
attached patch is reversed) [5]

So as you can see, there were some talks about Jail improvements for one
year existence of this mailinglist (freebsd-jail at freebsd.org), also it
is two years from SoC [6] and we still don't have anything commited to
7.x or to CURRENT. It is sad. There is little attention to jails, only
few people are able to do some coding work etc.

If the are somebody with skills and time to resurrect some mentioned
projects, I am willing to help with testing.

Also it will be good to have some up-to-date wiki page with "all the
patches" (resource limits, SysV IPC, multiple IPs...) and status of this
work, so people can easily find and try it.

Miroslav Lachman

[1] http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-jail/2007-June/000030.html

[2] http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-jail/2008-January/000152.html

[3a] http://docs.freevps.com/doku.php?id=freebsd:index
[3b] http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-arch/2006-June/005293.html

[4] http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-jail/2007-August/000060.html

[5]
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-jail/2007-September/000101.html

[6] http://wiki.freebsd.org/JailResourceLimits

Other links:
jail services:
http://wiki.freebsd.org/AsiaBSDCon_2007_DevSummit?action=AttachFile&do=get&target=jail_services.pdf
kernel level virtualisation requirements:
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-arch/2007-October/006872.html