Populating a jail with "make world"???

cco1817-0 at yahoo.de cco1817-0 at yahoo.de
Thu Jun 12 23:50:01 UTC 2008

Hello,

I'm about to learn how to use jails and I've some confusions after reading the handbook and some other ressources.

Chapter 23.4 warns "do not use make world".
Chapter 15.4 invites me to use "make world" etc. to populate a jail.

I've never used "make world" or "make buildworld" until now. I used the install.sh scripts from RELEASE images to install a new machine or to "update" (reason for this: I don't know what make **** is doing). Can someone please explain me the disadvantages if I use the install.sh scripts for my (service-) jails?

BTW: No related to jails, but does it make sense to recompile a freshly installed system completely using "make world/buildworld"?

Thanks in advance!
Ede