freebsd-update on jails

Miroslav Lachman 000.fbsd at quip.cz
Mon Apr 21 00:13:23 UTC 2008

Jeffrey Smith wrote:

>   I previously posted a howto to use zfs to manage jails.  The first
> update through freebsd-update has been released.  Testing this I get
>
> (in jail)
> ldap1#freebsd-update install
> Installing updates...chflags: ///usr/lib/libssh.a: Operation not
> supported
>
> After this error I enabled chflags in sysctl on the host system
> #sysctl security.jail.chflags_allowed=1
>
> This did not not work in fixing the issue
> after reading the freebsd-update man page I thought this should be
> possible
>
> #freebsd-update -b /jails/ldap1/ -d /jails/ldap1/var/db/freebsd-update/
> \ install
> Installing updates...chflags: /jails/ldap1///usr/lib/libssh.a: Operation
> not supported
>
> But I still get that same error.  Does anyone have any idea what would
> keep this from working?  If there is a way to update the host and all
> subsequent jails vi the host that would be great, as i would prefer not
> to allow chflags from within the jails.

Can you tell me your FreeBSD version?
I am convinced that I did freebsd-update inside Jail on FreeBSD 6.2, but
I am not 100% sure and did not test it on FreeBSD 7.
Are you trying update (minor security updates) or upgrade to newer
release version? Maybe I was in luck, that my update routine did not
change any chflagged files.

Miroslav Lachman