FreeBSD 7 and multiple IP (mijail-patch in 6.x)

Johan Ström johan at stromnet.se
Thu Apr 3 20:27:14 UTC 2008

On Apr 3, 2008, at 8:39 PM, Bjoern A. Zeeb wrote:

> On Mon, 31 Mar 2008, Johan Ström wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
>> I got a machine running 6.2 right now, which is being replaced. And
>> since SMP performance is much better on 7.x I'd like to go with 7.0
>> (and many ppl have indeed verified that it works good on this box,
>> HP DL360 G5)...
>> But, now when I start to setup the machine, I recalled that i've
>> patched the 6.2 box with the freebsd mijail patch (http://www.digitaldaemon.com/FreeBSD/FreeBSD/FreeBSD_6.2-STABLE-mijail.patch
>> ).
>> However, I cannot find anywhere about FreeBSD 7 and a similar
>> patch. A quick look at the patch vs the 7.x source tells me it
>> won't apply cleanly, but from what I've seen quickly, it could
>> maybe be done. The differences I've seen doesn't look too advanced,
>> but then again, I'm  not a kernel developer...
>>
>> So, I'd like to know if anyone considered this on 7.x, or if anyone
>> can tell me immediately that this wont work or will be LOTS of
>> work, or just some patch line adjusting? Ie, how big are the
>> changes from 6.x to 7.x in these sections?
>
> I had planned to have a patch for multiv4/v6 jails last month but
> it's not
> yet publicly available. I have sent it off to some people for review.
>
> In case the above is a successor of pjd's multi-ip v4 jail patch I can
> give you a plain forward port to a FreeBSD 7 system (which might have
> possible locking issues I have never experienced).
>
> All depends on how quickly you need it.

Hello, thanks for your answer.

Yep, the patch i've been using on 6 looks very much like pjd's (http://people.freebsd.org/~pjd/patches/mijail5.patch
). Are you using this Fbsd7-port, or do you have any idea if anyone
does/how much it have been tested?

I have no need for IPv6 right now, so if nothing else, I'd be glad to
test the 7-port of pjd's to see if it works. That sounds kindof what I
thought to do so.. :)

Thank you!

--
Johan