djbdns on 1270.0.1 in a jail problem

Randy Schultz schulra at earlham.edu
Mon Oct 1 20:08:29 PDT 2007

On Tue, 2 Oct 2007, Alain Wolf spaketh thusly:

-}Hi Randy,
-}
-}I fell in the same hole on my first setup.
-}There is no such thing as 127.0.0.1 in a FreeBSD Jail.
-}There is just the IP, which the Jail is configured for.
-}I am not a developer, but as far as I understand, a Jail and its IP, is
-}some kind of virtualization, which can not contain any virtualized
-}environment inside itself again. At least not in 6.x
-}
-}So it looks that 127.0.0.1 would be an additional IP like any other one,
-}which is NOT possible in FreeBSD Jails.
-}
-}I read promising things about a fully virtualized IP environment in
-}FreeBSD 7.x, where we can do a lot more than this, but we have to wait for
-}that.
-}
-}After I realized that, I redesigned my plans and I liked them even better.
-}My DJB-DNS setup is now as follows, and works flawless.
-}
-}dnscache runs in its own Jail in every physical machine, caching DNS
-}queries for all other Jails on the same machine.
-}
-}Two copies of TinyDNS run each in its own Jail too. Providing a (rather
-}expensive) Split-Horizon DNS Solution.
-}
-}Hope this helps

Indeed it does.  Tnx heaps and loads Alain.  Now I can stop focusing on
getting tinydns to work on 127.0.0.1 in the jails and investigate
alternatives to do what we need to do(probably quite similar to what you've
outlined).

Woo-hoo!  Ah do love freebsd and the wonderful people on these lists.

Later gators.

--
 Randy    (schulra at earlham.edu)      765.983.1283         <*>

Love with your heart, think with your head;  not the other way around.