FreeBSD DDoS protection

Charles Sprickman spork at bway.net
Sun Feb 10 09:16:24 UTC 2013

On Feb 10, 2013, at 4:06 AM, James Howlett wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Kevin, thank You for the information.
>
>> FreeBSD is fairly simple to harden against smaller DDoS attacks. Since I am unsure of your connection I cannot recommend specifics. However, it is best to configure polling, tweak sysctl (buffers/sockets/etc), install pf or ipfw and do some straight forward deny/allow + source spoof settings.
>>
>> Above all, don't go overboard with firewall configuration. People often try to do far too much tracking/packet rate limiting, etc. It just burns up free resources.
>>

> Let me tell You a bit about my setup. All my connections to ISP's are 1Gigabit each.
> They are terminated on a my switch, and the router is connected to that switch.

I think you'll get some better input if you address some of what Kevin noted above.  What firewall (if any) is in place?  What rules are currently in place? What tuning have you done so far?  Is polling enabled?

When you get hit, you mentioned it's 200K pps, how much bandwidth?  How many different source IPs?

I know on a "real" router, having Netflow configured and dumping info to a host for analysis is very helpful - I can at least see what's being targetted and ask my upstreams to null route the attacked IP at their edges.  I don't know if there's a good netflow exporter available for FreeBSD that won't hurt more than it helps.

Charles