SpamAssassin Y2K10 Rule Bug - sa-update doesn't work

Miroslav Lachman 000.fbsd at quip.cz
Tue Jan 5 01:20:06 UTC 2010

Gary Palmer wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 05, 2010 at 12:37:03AM +0100, Miroslav Lachman wrote:
>> There is a serious bug in SA rules with handling of "FH_DATE_PAST_20XX
>> The date is grossly in the future"
>> http://spamassassin.apache.org/
>>
>> "If your system is configured to use sa-update run sa-update now"
>>
>> The problem is, that 'sa-update' is not working with default configuration.
>>
>> Domain updates.spamassassin.org is not resolvable.
>>
>> # host updates.spamassassin.org
>> Host updates.spamassassin.org not found: 3(NXDOMAIN)
>>
>> According to http://just-dnslookup.com it is not my local resolver problem.
>>
>> Are there any usable mirror or another trusted channel to be used by
>> sa-update?
>
> updates.spamassassin.org isn't a DNS host record so it is expected
> that your lookup will fail.
>
> The following should, however, work:
> dig 5.2.3.updates.spamassassin.org txt +short
>
> Try running
>
> sa-update -D
>
> to see why its failing.

Thank you for your response. I didn't know it!

dig gives me "895075" and with sa-update -D I found that I was looking
in to the wrong directory (/usr/local/share/spamassassin instead of
/var/db/spamassassin/3.002005/updates_spamassassin_org) so the rules
seems to be updated fine.

Sorry for the noise.

Just one question - where can I find the domain or IP from where updates
are fetched?

Miroslav Lachman