Registrars with free DynDNS services of my own domains.

Marcin M. Jessa lists at yazzy.org
Wed Feb 24 21:07:11 UTC 2010

lenz wrote:
> if i may ... don't
>
> you miss a very important point here. DNS is bitch when it comes to
> caching and large providers. never mind what you have as expire times
> many large providers cache for a day to reduce their DNS traffic. if
> you run a NS server on a dynamic IP this can be more of a lottery than
> a solution. dyndns works fairly well for stuff that can live with
> small expire times and is not mission critical. a ns record _is_
> mission critical as without it not only your website is offline but
> potentially your mail other stuff.

You're right and I am aware of it. The stuff I am hosting is websites
with open source projects of mine
and mostly my private stuff. Nothing of critical importance.
Pluss my master DNS has a static IP. If anything changes, DNS lookups
can be always made against it.

> in your case i would get a cheap vhost somewhere and run the second ns
> there (slicehost, smallest slice or such) and have a stable solution
> or use the DNS from your provider or any other DNS hoster that offers
> an API if you want to update records.

I thought of it but I am willing to give my solution a shot before
spending money on something that I may not need.