FBSD 8.0 + Quagga + AMD64 => not reliable?
Michael DeMan (OA)
michael at staff.openaccess.org
Wed Feb 24 13:20:17 UTC 2010
I am wondering if anybody else out there uses FreeBSD + Quagga very much.
I have found it to be quite reliable and useful for BGP routers in particular, but we haven't upgraded our compact flash software image in a long time - last was based on FreeBSD 64, i386, and single threaded.
Now, trying to run FreeBSD 8.0 on AMD64, multi-processor (two dual-core) with Quagga, primarily for BGP again (and some OSPF as usual), has resulted in quagga locking up with nothing useful in kernel messages, quagga logs, etc.
Reverting to a uniprocessor kernel build for FreeBSD 8.0 seems to have cleared the issue.
Sorry if this sounds like a cross-post from quagga, but archives show quagga should be okay on multiprocessor. I am wondering if anybody else has tried this out. My thoughts are that perhaps its related to threading and the (long awaited) separation of FIB & RIB for routing directly inside of FreeBSD somehow.
Basically, after a period of time, the machine loses BGP, OSPF, typing 'vtysh' at the command line leaves vtysh basically hung, yet generally box is responsive to SSH albeit it seems sluggish.
P.S. - Overall plan for me at this point is to just watch both FreeBSD and Quagga source trees, update upon occasion on dev box, but probably just keep my fingers crossed until FreeBSD 8.1 is out. Meanwhile, I figured I would ask if anybody else is seeing anything like this.
More information about the freebsd-isp