All-in-one Server

Martin Solčiansky martin.solciansky at solko.sk
Wed Feb 10 16:03:37 UTC 2010

----- "Matthew Seaman" <m.seaman at black-earth.co.uk> wrote:

> On 10/02/2010 13:58, Odhiambo Washington wrote:
> > Hello sysadmins,
> >
> > Happy New Year (2010)!
> >
> > Anyone knows if I can build a FreeBSD box that has:
> >
> > Firewall /Gateway /Mail Server Solution with
> > the following capabilities:
> > .       http, pop, smtp, and imap email access.
> > .       Global Address List facility
> > .       Personal Address List facility
> > .       Personal and Group Scheduling through a calendar facility
> > .       System Dashboards to allow monitoring of the Managed
> > Firewall /Gateway /Mail Server.
> > .       Ability for users to use the same password as that in
> windows
> > Active Directory is desired.
> > .       Connector for Microsoft Outlook (Desirable)
>
> Horde or SquirrelMail + appropriate addons
> Cyrus IMAPd or Dovecot
> Sendmail or Postfix or Exim or ....
>
> You should be able to use SASL to hook up any of these to AD for
> authentication purposes. (If you choose sendmail, you'ld want the
> version from ports so you can compile it with all the SASL bits.)
>
> Horde certainly will allow you to create Global and Personal address
> books via various different back-end databases.  In principle it can
> use LDAP so you might be able to bodge it into AD, but I'd recommend
> MySQL as the least grief, fastest benefit solution.
>
> Horde also provides shared and global calendars, accessilble via
> CalDAV.
>
> No idea what to recommend as a control panel for the firewall, MTA
> and
> imap servers I'm afraid.
>
> Note that Outlook is designed to work with MS Exchange, and often
> gives
> less than optimal results with other mail servers.

You could try zimbra for all-in-one-email-solution instead of Citadel or Horde+, that would solve most of the problems as it integrates all the bits you need into a one working opensource bundle.

You can always write something to manage your firewall (like zimlet to zimbra) and that greatly depends on your expectations. I don't change firewall rules very often on my zimbra box but then again, i am the ascii lover ;).

kind regards,

s.