Jails creation

Vincent Hoffman vince at unsane.co.uk
Tue Oct 27 11:01:28 UTC 2009

Tonix (Antonio Nati) wrote:

> Is there any architectural reason for which jails must be created only
> starting from sources?
> Would not it be simpler to create a jail cloning the host environment
> binaries (and then using the normal freebsd-update to keep it updated)?
> Would it be possible to suggest a funded project with this goal?

I dont tend to use jails but my understanding is that you can use the
standard install to create a jail (based on info from
http://pbraun.nethence.com/doc/sysutils_bsd/dragonfly-freebsd-jail.html)

mkdir -p /var/jails/base
sysinstall
then,
sysinstall > Custom > Options > Install Root > /var/jails/base
sysinstall > Custom > Distributions > Minimal
sysinstall > Custom > Media > File System > /cdrom    (I just used ftp
myself, this meant i had to change the release from 7.2-RELEASE-p4 to
7.2-RELEASE in options)
sysinstall > Custom > Commit
[Visit the general configuration menu ?] > No
Note. don't do the post-install, it would modify the host, not the guest.

A quick
jail /var/jails/base footest 10.0.0.2 /bin/sh
gives me a shell in the jail so it seems to have worked, Time to add
devfs etc i guess.

>From here i'm going to have a look at sysutils/ezjail as that keeps
coming up as a good way of managing jails, but I seem to have an working
base system in /var/jails/base without compiling anything. I might have
a play now and get updates etc working.

regards,
Vince