Spamassassin anyone???

Julian Stacey jhs at berklix.org
Mon May 4 22:22:18 UTC 2009

Hi,
Reference:

Mike Tibor wrote:
> On Tue, 28 Apr 2009, Julian Stacey wrote:
>
> > My 2c: Bad idea: Moderators.
> >       Romans knew long before us: "Quis custodes custodiensis?"
> > But others with 2c like moderators, sadly.
> >
> > Moderation is a tedious bike shed argument, comes up on loads of
> > FreeBSD lists periodically, for one compromise idea (just moderate
> > the unsusbscribed), see suggestion found by google from: Rich
> > Kulawiec to hardware list recently:
> > http://groups.google.com/group/muc.lists.freebsd.hardware/browse_thread/thread/c698d9cd3ca2bd9e/f74bcf1e3e95bdd9?lnk=raot
> >
> > However probably all would agree:
> >  Volunteer to help postmaster at freebsd.org team on automatic tools
> >  if you have skill & time.
>
> I can certainly see why moderation wouldn't be practical, but I've always
> been curious why the -isp list has had an open posting policy.  You would
> think that those using FreeBSD in an ISP environment wouldn't be put off
> by having to subscribe to the list in order to post a question, but maybe
> that's a bad assumption.
>
> Obviously you wouldn't want that for many of the other lists, but for more
> specialized lists like this one, I'm genuinely curious why they're open.
>
> Mike

Personaly, I wouldnt mind if all FreeBSD lists only accepted
postings from subscribers ( that's what I do for lists I run
on majordomo @ berklix.org )

However:
1)  As the postmaster@ team @freebsd.org have achieved pretty good
    spam rejection most of the time, presumambly they don't feel the need.
2)  It wouldn't block all spam, Lists gets archived on various web sites,
    (not just @freebsd.org) & I recall some webs dont mask senders
    address.  ( & if any people receive lists on MicroS..t, & they
    get virus scanned, same info there), So spam crawlers could
    harvest sender addresses & masquerade.  (Smaller target audiences,
    but if enough in aggregate, & using semi recognised senders
    names ... Fortunately not too much targeted spam ... yet )

Cheers,
Julian
--
Julian Stacey: BSDUnixLinux C Prog Admin SysEng Consult Munich www.berklix.com