PPPoE server (high traffic in WDM network)

Michelle Konzack bsd4michelle at tamay-dogan.net
Fri Jul 24 15:05:45 UTC 2009

Hello Nikos,

sorry if I can not answer the next 3 or 5 days,  but  my  Server  has  a
hardware outage and I need to get a new one...  :-/

Am 2009-07-23 20:52:15, schrieb Nikos Vassiliadis:
> I *think* the number of clients is doable. I don't know about
> the bandwidth.

The main problem with the bandwidth is, that even the VOD/IPTV and  VoIP
traffic goes throug the PPPoE server which is very bad.

I do not want to count the traffic to a  specific  /25  which  hold  the
storage servers, mean, the VOD/IPTV and VoIP  traffic  must  bypass  the
PPPoE server.  and this reduce the traffic enormous...

> I meant "filling a 10 Gbit pipe with a general purpose computer
> architecture is a hard task". Packet forwarding at these rates is
> tricky.

Right, I would never try it...

My idea is/was, to put the PPPoE server diretly byside the FTTH DSLAM's,
which mean, each 96port DSLAM has an upstrem of 1 GE and even if  I  put
10 of them in a 42RU, it would normaly not fill the  10 GE  ports  of  a
professionel Server.  And of corse,  I  can  put  always  two  or  three
together parallel.

The problem is only, that I can not install 10 (or 20 redunant) 1U Sun
Fire X4100M2, even if I can get up to 60% rebat of the listprice.

I have not the place to put 20 additiona servers into, nor  I  like  the
power consumation ~70 Watt with the smalles CPU and only 4 GByte of RAM.

> Yes, you may find that having two small boxes

Your two small boxes are at lleast 10 servers with 1U supporting 10 GBit
in summary or 20 if redunant.

The villages we are cabeling are between 480 and 3200 hausholds.

> instead of bigger one
> gives better results performance-wise. You also have to test if SMP
> helps and how much. A beast with 16 cores is more powerful from a
> regular computer with 2 cores, but does it help in your setup?

If I go with 1 U Sun Fire X4100M2 the Opteron has 4 Cores and 4  threads
per core (AFAIK there is a 8 threads version too)

>> Can you recomment it for an ISP setup?
>
> It's FreeBSD running from a read-only mounted medium.
> No more, no less. Yes, it's fine for an ISP setup.

If I have 4 GByte of memory, I could run entirely from RAMDISK...
Memory is cheaper then the harddrives

Thanks, Greetings and nice Day/Evening
    Michelle Konzack
    Systemadministrator
    Tamay Dogan Network
    Debian GNU/Linux Consultant

<http://www.tamay-dogan.net/>                 Michelle Konzack
<http://www.can4linux.org/>                   c/o Vertriebsp. KabelBW
<http://www.flexray4linux.org/>               Blumenstrasse 2
Jabber linux4michelle at jabber.ccc.de           77694 Kehl/Germany
IRC #Debian (irc.icq.com)                     Tel. DE: +49 177 9351947
ICQ #328449886                                Tel. FR: +33  6  61925193