ZFS in productions 64 bit

Freddie Cash fjwcash at gmail.com
Tue Jul 7 15:51:07 UTC 2009

On Tue, Jul 7, 2009 at 5:46 AM, Steve Bertrand <steve at ibctech.ca> wrote:

> Freddie Cash wrote:
> > On Mon, Jul 6, 2009 at 7:27 AM, Tonix (Antonio Nati)
> > <tonix at interazioni.it>wrote:
> >
> >> Is anyone using in heavy production environment a ZFS FS with AMD 64
> bit?
>
> [...snip...]
>
> >  We've
> > benchmarked the system maxing out at 550 MBytes/sec write and 5.5
> GBytes/sec
> > read.
>
> Holy crap!
>
> Would you be so kind as to share some of your relevant pieces of config
> on how you have the OS and ZFS set up?

All the gory details of how we do our backups for over 100 remote
servers every night, in under 5 hours, with daily snapshots going back
just shy of 6 months (average size of the daily snapshots is 10 GB).

If we had 10 Mbps symmetrical connections to our remote sites instead
of 2.0/0.5 Mbps ADSL, we could probably drop the backup time to an
hour.  :)

If there's anything missing from there that you would like to know, just
ask.  :)

--
Freddie Cash
fjwcash at gmail.com