Could Dental Cavities be a Thing of the Past?

Dr. Julian H. Zhitnitsky drz at dentistsherwood.com
Thu Jan 15 04:20:28 PST 2009

Greetings from Dr. Julian H. Zhitnitsky!

Could Dental Cavities Be a Thing of the Past?

Dental cavities are a global epidemic. The World Health Organization estimates that among industrialized nations, 60 to 90 percent of school children and most adults have cavities. Here in the United States, dental caries, the disease which leads to cavities, is the most common childhood disease, nearly 5 times more common than asthma. Fortunately, the latest dental research shows help may be on the way.

Researchers at The Forsyth Institute have made significant advances in research to develop a vaccine against cavities. The research team has discovered key molecules that can stimulate a human immune response. What does all this mean? The vaccine may inhibit the enzyme that allows bacteria to accumulate on your teeth, making dental cavities a thing of the past (for the most part, anyway).

Because bacteria have already begun to accumulate on your teeth, chances are the vaccine would have little impact on your oral health. If children are vaccinated around the age of 1, however, it could give them cavity-free futures. At this age their immune systems are strong enough handle the vaccine, yet the probability that bacteria have begun to accumulate is low.

While the vaccine could reduce the number of cavities for future generations, it would not replace proper dental care, such as regular brushing, flossing and dental check-ups and cleanings.

If you'd like to learn more about proper dental care for you and your family, call our office at (818)785-8388 or email us at drz at dentistsherwood.com to schedule a consultation or demonstration! We're always glad to help.

Best Regards,
Dr. Julian H. Zhitnitsky

P.S. If you have any friends or family members who you feel could use our services, please don't hesitate to have them call us. We'll be sure to take good care of them.