PPPoE server (high traffic in WDM network)

Michelle Konzack bsd4michelle at tamay-dogan.net
Sat Aug 22 09:13:37 UTC 2009

Hello Muhammad,

Am 2009-08-21 16:36:52, schrieb muhammad usman:
> Hi,
>
> I've little off topic suggestion regarding network design.
>
> The solution you are implementing will mean to make hundreds of users
> share the same broadcast domain. As all your FTTH and other DSLAMS
> would be working in bridge mode.

Right.

> This scenerio is not safe as if anyone of your clients will start his
> own pppoe server you will be in strange trouble, there can be other
> issues too.

I was thinking about this problem to, but  AFAIK  this  does  not  work,
because the FTTH Modem is blocking such things from the customer.

> I guess your DSLAMs must have built in pppoe support and radius
> client, if its there then every port of dslams can be separate
> broadcast domain. This will cause you extra routing management
> (depending upon your scsnerio)

No, the "Iskratel SI3000 FTTH DSLAM" is only a  transport  system  which
require external PPPoE service.

> In case your DSLAMS have no pppoe feature then i would suggest you to
> at least put every DSLAM's uplink port in deparate VLAN and connect
> pppoe server using trunk port or multiple single ports.

The problem is, HOW many VLANS can you open?  If I use the Transmode TS
DWDM (GE) and/or CWDM (10GE) then I am limited to 4096 VLAN's.

So, if you have inside this network  business  customers  which  require
seperated VLAN routing you run out of VLAN's

Yes, I can use a biger system, but this  cost  at  least  twice  of  the
"Transmode TS" system.  Juniper is much more expensive.

> And before implementing this solution consult your DSLAM vendor cause
> ive observed problems in ipdslams when used in bridge/transperant
> mode.

I am already in contact with Iskratel  in  Kranj/Slovenia,  because  the
Distributor in Germany is a little bit to small for the  Project  and  I
get direct help from there engineers to implement this.

The only difference between is, that my  Servers  are  running  entirely
"Debian GNU/Linux" and where it fit better, FreeBSD.

Thanks, Greetings and nice Day/Evening
    Michelle Konzack
    Systemadministrator
    Tamay Dogan Network
    Debian GNU/Linux Consultant

<http://www.tamay-dogan.net/>                 Michelle Konzack
<http://www.can4linux.org/>                   Apt. 917
<http://www.flexray4linux.org/>               50, rue de Soultz
Jabber linux4michelle at jabber.ccc.de           67100 Strabourg/France
IRC    #Debian (irc.icq.com)                  Tel. DE: +49 177 9351947
ICQ    #328449886                             Tel. FR: +33  6  61925193