providing web based DNS management to customers

Michael DeMan michael at staff.openaccess.org
Wed Apr 29 10:24:09 UTC 2009

Hi, seems close but I'm not sure if it hits the target.

What I need is the ability for customers to be able to login and update
entries within a zone.  More specifically, the ability to allow
customers to update their -in-addr.arpa reverses based on us allocating
them things like /29.s

I may be crusty here too, but to the best of my knowledge, it is
impossible break below /24 at the 'zone' level in reverse DNS.  Or at
least the tools we use do not allow that.

Hence the problem.

Given a typical /24, which is easy to manage, I need a tool that allows
customers to to have maybe a single IP that they can update to
'mail.theircompany.com', or in other cases, folks that have a /29 or
bigger that want 'mail.theircompany.com', 'vpn.parentcompany.com',
'somethingelse.someotherdomain.com', etc.

I guess what I am for is a kludge, to make DNS map to CIDR, but also a
way that it could be done in a user friendly way.