Spamassassin anyone???

Mike Tibor tibor at tibor.org
Tue Apr 28 20:40:24 UTC 2009

On Tue, 28 Apr 2009, Julian Stacey wrote:

> My 2c: Bad idea: Moderators.
>       Romans knew long before us: "Quis custodes custodiensis?"
> But others with 2c like moderators, sadly.
>
> Moderation is a tedious bike shed argument, comes up on loads of
> FreeBSD lists periodically, for one compromise idea (just moderate
> the unsusbscribed), see suggestion found by google from: Rich
> Kulawiec to hardware list recently:
> http://groups.google.com/group/muc.lists.freebsd.hardware/browse_thread/thread/c698d9cd3ca2bd9e/f74bcf1e3e95bdd9?lnk=raot
>
> However probably all would agree:
>  Volunteer to help postmaster at freebsd.org team on automatic tools
>  if you have skill & time.

I can certainly see why moderation wouldn't be practical, but I've always
been curious why the -isp list has had an open posting policy.  You would
think that those using FreeBSD in an ISP environment wouldn't be put off
by having to subscribe to the list in order to post a question, but maybe
that's a bad assumption.

Obviously you wouldn't want that for many of the other lists, but for more
specialized lists like this one, I'm genuinely curious why they're open.

Mike