PF + ALTQ - Bandwidth per customer

David Roseman david_5073 at yahoo.com
Sat Nov 29 08:26:58 PST 2008

Is top-posting allowed here?

This product has been around longer than ALTQ and pf. So its unlikely
that they threw away something that has always been superior to ALTQ to
replace it with ALTQ. The release notes go back to 1996. They also claim
to have re-written the FreeBSD bridging code to gain 40% in performance.

http://www.etinc.com/release.notes

RED and CBQ were technologies championed by Cisco. They're designed to
work on CPU-starved routers. Cisco had a big problem because their routers
were designed to move packets and they didn't have any cpu power available
for intelligent processing required for packet shaping. So they designed
these brain-dead "leaky bucket" and CBQ models to work on their cpu-starved routers in the 90s. Inexplicably, these silly techniques were copied and put into pubic operating systems, and people still use them to
save what amounts to pennies compared to the new business they can attract
with a better network.

If you'd read the white papers you'd know its not a queue-based
product and its totally custom. Window shaping is really the most
important technology to reduce the amount of traffic in a nework. Slowing
servers naturally without having to queue data makes a dramatic change in
the delay patterns of a large network. Imagine 1000 servers sending 3000
bytes per window instead of 32K. The backup queue depths are dramatically
reduced even without specific bandwidth limits per customer.

It also has a traffic monitor that is indispensable in tracking down
DOS attacks, worms and out of control servers. I'd pay $500. just for the monitor. I have a problem, I fire up the monitor and bingo, I find the
problem. I think you can buy the lowest priced license and still use the
monitor and gather statistics no matter how large your network is.

David