Looking for advise regarding MTA/IMAP/POP server

Scott Lambert lambert at lambertfam.org
Thu Feb 14 12:43:13 PST 2008

I've been trying to find the time to install a Postfix/Cyrus-IMAP server
for a year now.  I currently have one Postfix/Courier-IMAP server where
I like Postfix.  Courier does it's job but I don't particularly care
for it.  I have another Sendmail/IMAP-UW server where I don't *like*
anything but can get along with Sendmail.  IMAP-UW is, well, IMAP-UW.

The biggest issue is the migration of the data from three existing
servers.  In the interests of just getting it done, I've been looking at
commercial alternatives.

I've run across SurgeMail by NetWin which is only $670 for the
license level that we would need.  Their Anti-Virus add on license is
slightly more expensive, but I already have a cluster of Barracuda
Networks Spam Firewall boxes sitting out in front.  NetWin has been
around a while and they claim to have an auto-migration feature.

Unfortunately, they don't seem to have a high opinion of FreeBSD 4
through 6 for server processes such as their's which use both forking
and threads.

So, I'm looking for other ISP's experiences with SurgeMail, preferably
on FreeBSD, or similar type packages that make migration simple.  We
have around 8,000 e-mail accounts and have about a little under 200
domains.

How do you like the logs for finding out which of your users is infected
with the mass-mailing virus of the week, or being able to tell the
customer that the message they claim is lost on the server was received
at blah blah time and the customer's work computer, with IP address
blither, deleted the message from the server at blah blah time.

One of our existing mail servers, which came from an acquisition, has
lots of logs but it is almost impossible to follow a message completely
through the system.

lambert at lambertfam.org