PF + ALTQ - Bandwidth per customer

Andrei Kolu antik at bsd.ee
Tue Dec 2 01:12:33 PST 2008

Peter Jeremy wrote:
> On 2008-Dec-01 17:08:40 -0600, "Sam Fourman Jr." <sfourman at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> So I would like to hear some ideas on how we could use FreeBSD or any other BSD
>> to limit bandwidth per customer( say one customer (with root access)
>> per server )
>>

> That description sounds like it simplifies to "limit bandwidth based on
> IP address" - which is fairly trivial for ipfw+dummynet or pf+altq.

ipfw+dummynet is really ugly traffic "shaper" (let's face it there is no
shaping going on), because instead of limiting bandwidth it will drop
packets to simulate bad connection. I hear many years about "trivial"
configuration per user bandwidth limit with pf+altq but never saw ANY
code... You can't set bandwidth limit with PF like 3Mbit per 100 clients
if your lan card is 100Mbit. This is just lame- in reality clients never
use all bandwidth and never all clients are connected all the time. Even
Linux ipfilter does it for years with insane cryptic commandline but it
just works.