Advanced routing option

Oliver Brandmueller ob at e-Gitt.NET
Wed Oct 24 03:11:17 PDT 2007

Hi,

On Wed, Oct 24, 2007 at 10:36:50AM +0200, tonix (Antonio Nati) wrote:
> I'm using FreeBSD and Monowall in the most of my servers.
>
> One limit I'm facing on both is the lack of an advanced routing feature.
>
> Would be too complicated to modify "route" sources (and probably kernel
> tables) implementing a FROM parameter in ADD command?
>
> route add 0.0.0.0/0   210.10.10.1
> route add FROM 200.1.1.0/24      0.0.0.0/0     210.10.10.10
> route add FROM 200.1.2.0/24      0.0.0.0/0     210.10.11.11
>
> A FROM option would improve a lot routing capabilities and handling of
> multiple WAN connections.
>
> Any comment?

It's quite easy and very flexible to use for example pf for that. This
is actually a lot more flexible than doing that in routing tables. I see
no reason to blow up the efficient and well working routing framework
for an edge case which can be handled easily by existing tools.

- Oliver

--
| Oliver Brandmueller | Offenbacher Str. 1  | Germany       D-14197 Berlin |
| Fon +49-172-3130856 | Fax +49-172-3145027 | WWW:   http://the.addict.de/ |