Which SCSI Raid card?

Thomas Vogt freebsdlists at bsdunix.ch
Fri Oct 5 06:38:13 PDT 2007

Hello

I'm looking for a fully supported SCSI Raid Controller for FreeBSD (6.x
and 7.x).

Requirements are:

80Pin SCSI 320
Low Profile card
Min. 1 Channel
At least support for 6 SCSI disks
At least 64mbit ram (128+ MB are preferred)
PCI-X, PCI-E or PCI (64bit)
32 and 64bit OS support
Cli tools for managing working on FreeBSD
Raid 0,1,5 support
Not EOL in 6 month

Battery support would be nice too.

Any ideas?

In the past I was very happy with Adaptec 2100S but it's EOL. I don't
like the new Adaptec 2120 and 2130 cards. Mainly because it's not
possible to create a raid1 or raid5 later from a non raid system. On a
2100S you could later setup raid1 from a production one disk system by
simple adding a second disk, enabling raid1 in the bios and set "copy
from disc0 to disc1" without loosing any data.

It looks 2120 and 2130 are acting more like 3ware IDE raid controller.
The always need to initialize the disks first for creating an array and
during this task all data are deleted on every disk in this array.

Regards,
Thomas