HW RAID advice requested

Bryan Vyhmeister freebsd at bsdjournal.net
Sun May 20 06:08:28 UTC 2007

On May 19, 2007, at 5:12 AM, VA wrote:

>> I am partial to HP hardware, it is what we use at work and I
>> haven't really
>
> Basically all major manufacturer hardware should be supported. I
> have good experience with Dell, IBM and HP. If you need a separate
> controller 3ware is a good option. Personally I don't like Adaptec,
> but they should work too. I don't know about other brands since
> they are harder to get over here.

Historically, I have been using 3ware twe(4) and twa(4) controllers
most of the time. I have also used a number of Adaptec controllers
although I don't like them either. Recently, I have started using LSI
MegaRAID controllers and I have been extremely happy with them. They
work especially well with OpenBSD's bio(4) and bioctl(8) interfaces.
I'd like to see that same type of interface in FreeBSD as well.

Bryan