Email server recommendation

Andy Hilker ah at crypta.net
Wed May 9 18:30:00 UTC 2007

Hi,

You (Richard McNeilly) wrote:
> I am trying to plan a ISP deployment using FreeBSD.  I am more familiar
> with Linux but during my research, it's been pointed out that FreeBSD is
> the more stable and reliable choice for an ISP.  Especially as an email
> server.
>
> What is the best way to manage the addition of new users to the email
> server?  local users or is there a database solution.  Also is there a
> software package available to easily administer email accounts or does
> it all have to be done with custom scripts.
>
> I would welcome any suggestions of anecdotes of experience.

Take a look here: http://www.dbmail.org/ It has a freebsd port. The
database will contain the users including all mail data and filters.
POP3/IMAP will work directly on the database. It is recommended to
put a real MTA in front (public MTA), like postfix. You can easily
connect it to dbmail and have some running config (like domains)
in mysql. Squirrelmail can work as webmail client.

bye,
Andy

--
Dipl.-Inf. Univ. Andy Hilker
IT project management and consulting with focus on security, UNIX, ISP