ISC bind9 with dynamic DNS update (chroot problem)

Doug Barton dougb at FreeBSD.org
Fri Jul 27 21:15:39 UTC 2007

Patrick Dung wrote:
> Hi
>
> I use FreeBSD 6.2 and the base bind9.
> For dynamic DNS update, bind9 automatically generate the journal file
> (end in .jnl).
> The default config is to use chroot and the running user as 'bind'.
>
> The problem is that after named is started (/etc/init.d/named start),

Are you sure you're doing this on FreeBSD? We have rc.d, not initd.
Assuming that was just a typo ...

> the default chroot directory /var/named/etc/named

The default directory is /etc/namedb, which is a symlink to
/var/named/etc/namedb.

> permission will be reset to own by root. So the named daemon (run
> as user 'bind') cannot create the journal file and complain:

You shouldn't be creating journal files in the config directory anyway.

> One temp fix is to use chroot and run as root, any suggestions?

Yeah, don't run named as root. Ever. :)

Assuming that you are actually running FreeBSD, and that you have not
turned off the mtree option, you should have the following directories
in /etc/namedb:

drwxr-xr-x  2 bind  wheel    512 Jul 23 00:47 dynamic/
drwxr-xr-x  2 root  wheel    512 Jul 13 22:33 master/
drwxr-xr-x  2 bind  wheel    512 Jul 27 14:05 slave/

The dynamic directory is obviously designed to hold dynamic zones, and
it (like the slave directory) is chowned to user bind so that named
can write to it after it drops privileges.

hth,

Doug