SATA Raid Controlller replacement card...

Søren Schmidt sos at deepcore.dk
Tue Jan 16 23:05:07 UTC 2007

Jan Knepper wrote:
> Currently using the SiI 3114 SATA150 controller on the motherboard
> (Tyan2885).
> 2 *the same* SATA drives are attached, but not running SATA-RAID at
> the moment.
>
> Since I understand that this card does not really provide the RAID
> itself (and also does not seem as table as preferred on FreeBSD) I am
> wondering/considering obtaining a RAID card that does and possibly
> disabling the SiI 314 on the motherboard.
>
> However, the question is can that be done without having to reinstall?
> (I seem to recall that I can not just move SCSI drives from one
> interface to an interface of an other brand).
Except for eventual drive renumbering caused by the possible different
PCI bus location and depending on whether static devices numbering is
used or not, you can move drives around (S)ATA controllers all you like.
However if you have a softraid defined on the disks, that depends on the
controller BIOS to be maintained at the boot level.

-Søren